Thursday, December 31, 2009

A 2010 .... to Cherish


I am a bit all over the shop at the moment. Having read a few posts about the year ahead and peoples thoughts. I have read Di's, Sharon's and Amy's. I thought a lot about a word for 2009, I really liked Ali's one 'Nurture' but I couldn't decide and I let it go for the year. Perhaps that was a sign that it would be a year I would not be able to describe or comprehend.
It started with some blogging, and I really enjoyed that, capturing special things in our life and recording the photos and stories. Looking back it has been a wonderful way to record part of our lives.
The year has been a good one for our family, mostly smooth sailing and enjoying each other. We have had some small trials, nothing major. I would like to be a better Mamma not so tired and cranky, more time for me, and more sticking to excercise and those usual things. (My belated birthday/Christmas present may assist this). I will share in another post, it hasn't arrived yet. Some more time for cleaning, looking after and improving our house. All things I would love to improve on. And I intend to do so. But as I mentioned the first half of the year was moving along well, it came to a screaming hault for a while in May and then shifted into a different direction. Whilst my family were fine, it changed my perspective on a lot of things. This was when Hilarie was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor. From this point we moved to form Hills' Angels and worked as hard as we could to do all we can to help. This consumed the second half of the year and my family and a lot of the things I love suffered through this time.
To my families credit they all supported me and helped me to overcome all my shortfalls by working together in this time. As the year draws to a close I am becoming more aware of the changes that have taken place and the year we have ahead.
2010 can be all I hope for with my family, a year of health, eating better, cooking our own bread, working with the kids in the kitchen, growing more of our own veges. A year of exercise and the outdoors, playing more sports being more active and spending more time as a family doing so. A year of togetherness, spending time together, enjoying each other and learning and experiencing new things together.
At this point I will introduce my word for 2010, it is Cherish.

cher⋅ish

–verb (used with object)
1. to hold or treat as dear; feel love for: to cherish one's native land.
2. to care for tenderly; nurture: to cherish a child.
3. to cling fondly or inveterately to: to cherish a memory.

I hope to focus more on Cherishing what I already have, Cherish the things I am able to do and Cherish above all the time that I have. (Side note: I now feel the need to find this word in white wood and hang it somewhere in my house, please let me know if you come across one).
This word comes about as I keep thinking what 2010 will bring for me, my family, my amazing group of friends and most importantly for Hil. It seems like up until now I have been able to focus on all we were doing to make it better, but now it is all done, we have to step back, support and go back to being the friends she knows and loves, surrounding her and supporting her. I am having a little more trouble facing 2010 and what it may hold.
So I have decided to be thankful for all I have and to try a little harder to Cherish what is already here, and every little moment that we have together. Heres to a 2010 full of moments to Cherish.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great way for you to start the new year Shannon - I'm planning to make sure I don't take the small things for granted .... it's too easy to get caught in the hurley burley of life.
    I think what you and your friends have done for Hil and her family is so wonderful - she must feel so loved and supported in what must be a really scary and uncertain time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post Shannon.
    I know 2010 will have some tough times for you but as you have said...cherish what you have, the memories you will make and the memories you already have.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!
    And look forward to catching up in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautifully said, Shannon, and wonderful word selection. Here's to 2010 and what lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your word choice - I think 'cherish' suits how I'm feeling to, better than any other word right now. Might have to 'borrow' the word from you. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete