Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Preparing for Christmas




















The day before Christmas, all was quiet in the house
because the kids were both gone and so was the spouse.
the vacumming done, the food was prepared
the presents were wrapped, and good wishes were shared.

The house was all tidy, everything in its place
Awaiting the family's pressence to grace
Stockings are finished and under the tree
Waiting for little children laughing with glee.

Christmas Eve holds a tour of lights at the Hunter Valley.
Then home to bed with the kids we will rally,
While they dream of the presents and the morning ahead
we remind them of the true meaning instead.

Sorry the end is a little weak. I have spent the day tidying the house and preparing in advance as much food as possible. As always I had grand plans for the day, and time has gotten away from me and now it is time to collect the children.

I can't post any photos yet as I am borrowing Mum and Dad's camera, and I don't have anything to read their card with, said as i sit down to add some photos and edit! Will try later.

We are hoping to place some gifts under one of the donation trees tonight, something we do each year with the kids and they enjoy. Tomorrow Andrew is home, and it is supposed to be hot, so I am thinking a swim in the pool or at the beach. Then in the evening we plan to head to the Hunter Valley Gardens (which are beautiful on their own) but look spectacular when lit up for Christmas. The kids enjoy it and I can't wait to head there too. There is something magical about Christmas Eve.

Oh somewhere in there we have to make the cookies for Santa and leave them and the beer, milk and cookies out, and a carrot for Rudolph. If I don't pop back in before them Merry Christmas to you all and may 2010 hold everything you hope for. Thank you all for sharing the year with me.
Shannon
x

3 comments:

  1. love the poem!! There is an another one floating around, very funny, I'll have to try and find it....I too am child free (overnight), and atm completely cleaning out the girls room of all of their gathered crap (do other kids collect utter rubbish?!) and some wrapping of the Santa gifts tonight (with different paper that has been well hidden - there was a comment last year that "santa used the same paper as you mum!". have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun writing it. My kids have returned and are tucked in bed now. Sounds like a good plan. Not much rubbish aloud in this house, I like things to be stored nicely, if there is too much some needs to be donated (to make room for new things at Christmas and birthday) seems to work. I learned that early too, and handwriting is a problem too. I hope our day will be full of fun and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem Shannon - have a Merry Christmas yourself - it sounds like you are very well prepared.
    We've just had a houseful of kids leave .... so much for cleaning today - guess what I'll be doing again tomorrow?
    Have a great day on Friday with all of the family :-)

    ReplyDelete