Monday, July 27, 2009

Fashion concious at 2?!?!

Katelin on the edge of Sydney habour

I love birthday's and celebrating with my family is always special. This year my birthday fell on a Saturday and I thought it would be fun to head into the city. So after much protest and tantrums about various things, I was careful to choose my battles.

I had layed out jeans a white t and cute little vintage dress to wear over the top for Katelin. I got the base layers on and went to put her dress on, she usually likes to wear this one. She said to me no, tomorrow Mummy and picked it up and took it back to her room. At this point I must say she is usually happy to wear what ever I dress her in. So once in her room she opens her wardrobe and said that one, her tutu my Mum has made for her. I said what about the dress and the reply was tutu on Mummy. So I said ok, thinking to myself how can I make this work. We put on the tutu and I looked into her draws, I found a cute little red singlet top (had been a hand me down from a friend) and thought this could work.

So once dressed in a passable outfit, I did acutally think it looked pretty cute, we were ready to leave. Next negotiate the car seat and belt full of tutu, tricky but it worked - so not up for another fight before we left!

On arrival there had been a slight accident on the way and the jeans were then removed from the outfit, hey presto, Katelin as you see her in the photo above. So we walked around Sydney getting many lovely comments about how adorable Katelin was looking and that only someone small could pull off the tutu so well.

As the comments increased I said to Andrew, I am going to have to do a page about this 'Katelin causes a stir in Sydney' starting with the determination and the comments and the fact that in the end as much as she was shy I think she was also proud of her clothing choice and the attention.

Even Andrew commented about how many people stopped and talked about the tutu, it really turned out to be an important part of the day, funny how things like that happen. So I made sure that I got a few pics of her that I could use them on a page. We did finally convince her to take the tutu off in the car on the way home and it was a lovely part of the day. By the evening as I went out to dinner with my husband and friends the story was a funny one and everyone related all having small kids of their own.

Gotta love individual style and the ability to express it even at 2!

2 comments:

  1. She is an absolute DOLL! Thanks for all the wonderful pages, full of inspiratin and cuteness!!!! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really is adorable!! I can vouch for that. I think I need you to send me a photo of the dress she was wearing last time I saw you, I so want to make it for my girls for this summer...I think I need to make an owl too!!
    I love the tutu and I can imagine what a stir she would have caused especially with the tourists, we will have to get Finn with his white blonde hair and Katelin in her cool fashion together in the city...that would cause a stir, what a cute couple they would be :)
    I'm glad you had a great day for your birthday. We missed seeing you on the weekend though...next time you will have to come.

    ReplyDelete