Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Happy Memories

I have always been inspired to capture stories, and I especially love hearing the stories of my family and how they got to where they are today.
I loved Ali Edwards' Yesterday Today class and it inspired me to capture some stories sooner than I may have otherwise. I still haven't finished the album but I love working through it. I love that I captured this story of my Pop to share with my kids.
I am glad my this story is recorded. And I am glad this prompted me to gather some other stories. They are not all documented yet, but my Nan has written some down for me, and spent some time chatting to my Pop about their lives and the things I wanted to know.
I am glad because on Friday my Pop, Poppy Heckel as he was known passed away. He was 81 and he was unwell. However until the end he did things just as he wanted. Being in his own home, comfortable, looking after himself and happy. He knew he was loved and he looked forward to the routine and normal. And the day was routine and normal. Just as he wanted. Now he is resting and in peace.
I am glad for the life he had, and for the memories we have. I am happy for the time Noah got to share with him. He visited every second Friday and they both looked forward to it so much. I am greatful for all the stories I have to share with my children and for the time we had together.
I do worry for Noah but he is coping well and likes talking about Pop.
I am also greatful for all the pictures that have surfaced, and the stories that have come with them. 
Pop with my Mum as a baby

Pop having been fishing, now this is something I didn't know much of. He used to fish a lot with his Dad while in France. He taught Mum how to fish. I love that I can share this with Noah, who also loves to fish.
This is Pop working at Austral Bronze, where he worked until he retired.
Pop loved to build things, and he built this doll's house for me. It is a cherished memory fo mine. Noah loved to look through his shed and we have bought home some special tools for him.
Our family gathering for Pop's 80th birthday, which he was so suprised about, and later said it was one of the best days of his life. I think he was very greatful for the people there, especially since they were mostly my Nan's side of the family, and that he and Nan have been divorced for nearly 50 years. I am so proud that they still care for each other!
Pop on his 80th, the form guide and TAB tickets were never far away, he loved the horse races. 
And my boy with his Poppy Heckel (his great grandfather).

Au revoir grand-père, vous allez nous manquer
Good bye Pop, we will miss you
X




2 comments:

  1. Shannon I am so sorry to hear of your Pop passing away, he sounds like a wonderful man and a great Pop for Noah and Kate.
    You have done an unbelievable job documenting part of his life and that photo of him in the workplace is fantastic.
    I have a few more things to email through to you - I've been sidetracked with house stuff and general sick stuff ... you know the drill.
    Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that layout that you did to record a story of your lovely pop. Wow, what an incredible quality photograph - how grateful you must be to have such a fantastic pic. He looks lovely, back then, and more recently. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete