Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Create a Canvas

So I think I mentioned on the post before I went away that I would share a canvas that I have made for my daughters room and a layout of her room. It has been raining a lot here, so my photos are not fantastic, it is still poor light, and it doesn't make it in to my house well at the best of times, so sorry but this is it!
Again this is my interpretation of Nicole's canvas she shared on remember whens blog quite a while ago. You can look it up in the archives. I really liked the idea, but I didn't have the wall space to make such a large one. Katelin's room has had these shelves in there since before she was born, and yes they are also from Ikea. So it looks like this.














I just picked four of my favourite shots and I cropped them to the same size, I think they are all 4 inch squares. Of course I changed them all to B & W otherwise I would have had mismatched colours in the photos as they were taken at different times. When I took them to get printed I just told the computer not to adjust and it prints out with the white space on the bottom. I went to my local store and picked out two co ordinating patterned papers that would match the colour scheme in her room. The letters I used are AC vinyl thickers in white and they are called sprinkles. Not sure on the flower it is just fastened with a brad straight through the canvas. I am really happy with how it turned out. It looks like this on the shelf.








I have been wanting to do a layout of both my kids rooms for a while. I have just been really slack and haven't done Noah's, mostly because I never took pics when it was finally finished. So I have just taken some, not yet printed because we just changed it around at Christmas with his new toys, so now I have two to do for him.
I have done Katelin's though. Before Kate was born Noah got a new room especially decorated for him. We left the nursery as it was, painted pale green, as I figured we could add blue for a boy or pink for a girl. So when Kate was born it stayed that way for a while, and over the course of 18 months we added more things to make it girly and pink until you get the result you see below. I enjoyed collecting things for her room and there are special stories about most of the things you see in the page.


















The journalling reads

Katelin, this is your room now. We have just bought your own new draws and shelf for all your beautiful treasures. Since you were born we have been gathering things for your room to make it more girly. Nanny bought your beautiful butterfly bed linen. I have made things like your art hanging canvas, your shoes in a box and your picture canvas. All of your special treasures are on the shelves like the pink bear Nanny bought when you were born, and all your wooden cooking toys. I bought some pretty butterflies to stick on your wall and you love those you point ant try to say butterflies. Here is the rocking chair you climb into each night for your bedtime story. These suitcases will house your little treasures later on. I was so happy when I found these butterfly bookends for your room. You still love your cot and your fish to sing you to sleep. You adore your musical star which we recently got and you can pull the string to turn it on. And in your bed sits your favorite things, Millie bunny, your dummy and your blankie, all which are required for every sleep. I try to get you to leave them in there during the day and mostly you do but Millie often comes out to play. This is your room with all your precious things in it. I hope you love it half as much as we love you.

When I had just completed Katelin's room Nicole conveniently posted about scrapping her girls rooms. So it was just perfect to write about Katelin's room. Mostly because I wasn't sure how I would go at getting a lot of shots on one page. This is actually a 12 x 8 inch photo all put together in photo shop and printed out. Then some white cardstock on the top and bottom for the journalling. The pink strip is also cardstock.

So I hope you enjoy reading my interpretations of Nicole's ideas and I hope you get inspired to think out of the box about what and how you scrap.

Enjoy the week!

5 comments:

  1. Love the page about Kate's room AND the room itself is gorgeous - the little butterfly accessories really make it lovely. Can't wait to see your boys' room - I'm a little lacking in inspiration for my own little boy's room...!
    Cheers
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. That room is seriously cute Shannon! I have not finished my girls room ...now you have motivated me to get a move on!! Thanks. And like your new photo too!
    A special thanks too for your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shannon for stopping by my blog and commenting, it's great to meet shuch like minded people. I LOVE those colours in your daughters room and all the perfect little accessories. Those three little suitcases are just divine! Your canvas looks great. I have also done one for my girls room. iT's so worth taking the time to do and your photos are great. You have also taken great angles for your photos of your daughters room. I love how it all came together on the layout. She will totally love seeing this when she is older. Well done, JO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your page about Katelin's room Shannon....it is so gorgeous.....makes me long for a little girl! And I just adore your canvas.....might have to whip up a boy version. This would make a great gift idea too. Awesome work. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me some love :) Getting into my LOM course.....my coffee table is covered in boxes of photos as I begin sorting. Scary stuff! Stacy is very reassuring though; she just reminds you how worthwhile it will all be in the end......I trust her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that mini version of the big canvas - it's gorgeous and sorry I missed this post last month!

    ReplyDelete